Beneath the Bottle

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Since experimenting with off-camera flash lighting, its all I can think about. I'm constantly thinking about light. Powers, angles, direction, gels...

I've done allot of experimenting lately with either off-camera flash from the left, right, top. Then, I started to wonder what it would be like to light an object from underneath.

I headed into the studio this weekend to give it a go. It took a little brainstorming and trial shots to get things working, but the results were pretty cool.

To warm up, I tried a couple more shots in the light box. Mmmm, Beckham. His cologne is pretty good too ;)


By placing the vodka bottle on a piece of plexiglas, I was able to lay the flash directly underneath. This first shot was taken using just one flash. While, the vodka bottle is lit by the flash, the background is lit by ambient light.


I was curious how the image would change by adding a second flash to illuminate the background.


The background in the above shot was a little overwhelming. Turning down the power on the background flash, gave these results. Which do you prefer?



After filling up one of my flash cards, I needed a break. LOL. Mmmm, I-C-E-B-E-R-G!

2 comments :

Anonymous February 19, 2010 at 1:52 PM  

I love the first one. It's sharp!
It's almost sexy looking with the black background and the way the iceberg lights up.
The second is more soft/warm.
Both are great and I could see the top one used in a younger mag. or with fun/sexy night life in mind. While the second feels more daytime and relaxed. For a mature drinker!
I don't like the third because I feel the bottle is lost(boring) and doesn't catch my attention.
The last one is Great. Almost a guilty morning- after feeling to it! ;)
I love your work. It inspires me to take more pictures myself.

keep it up,
Jill Newbury
Lower Sackville, NS
(King's Point,NL)

emma hutchinson photography February 22, 2010 at 9:56 AM  

Hi Jill. Thank you for commenting. Your feedback is much appreciated. Thank you for following my blog.

Post a Comment

If you do not have a google account, choose Name/URL.

Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP