Lightyear = Taking it off

Sunday, January 17, 2010


... The flash that is.

Since the new year began, I've been focused on photography. More precisely off-camera lighting. This simple technique opens the door, as they say, to a whole new side of photography. With off-camera flash, your suddenly offered so many new ways to make your images more interesting.

My focus for 2010 is all about working with light. I've been experimenting in the studio lately with different lighting techniques. Filling my head with 1/4 powers and 1/2 powers, reflection / refraction, gobos and snoots. All in the name of learning to use off-camera lighting more effectively.

I love learning and no matter how experienced you are in photography, there is always something new to master. I am by no means a strobist guru, but I'm feeling more creative and confident each time I step out of the box (or in, depending on what you're working with).

The following are just a few experimental product shots using a light box. An STE2 on top of my camera, enabled me to light the objects with off-camera flash. That being said, the first item on my "gotta-have" list for 2k10 is Pocket Wizards. While the STE2 is awesome, wizards are definitely the way to go. Look out then Harry Potter!

I love how the light is reflecting through this glass bowl, showing all of its intricate detail.


...and how this spider conch shell looks like it's balancing on the spikes of its outer-shell.

3 comments :

Anonymous January 18, 2010 at 3:16 PM  

Very cool images Emma - are you sure you have not done this before. I can't wait to see what you do with your new skills.

Anonymous January 18, 2010 at 10:17 PM  

Amazing job, it actually looks like it is balancing! Cant wait to see more images Emma keep it coming, im a FAN!

emma hutchinson photography January 19, 2010 at 10:55 AM  

Thanks anonymous. Your a fan! Man, that's awesome :) Keep checking back. I'm working on something really cool. Hope to launch soon!

Post a Comment

If you do not have a google account, choose Name/URL.

Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP