Gros Morne National Park {the milky way} | Nature Photography

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Gros Morne National Park has to be one of my favourite places to photograph in Newfoundland. The long range mountains, rugged beaches and breathtaking rock formations offer so many unique and spectacular opportunities for amazing images.

During a photography trip to the west coast this past weekend, I had one goal. It was time to brush up on my nature photography skills. I planned to experiment with slow shutter speeds to capture that milky water effect often seen in landscape images of water falls or seascapes. Having a plan enabled me to stay focused and think about what settings I needed to capture my image.

btw...I didn't lose the tip of my tripod this time {yay}. Although I did manage to get extremely wet positioned too low and too close to crashing waves. Funny how I don't seem to mind getting my boots messed up while capturing a great sunset  : )

Canon 5D, manual mode, 24-105mm lens, 1/8 @ f16


Canon 5D, manual mode, 24-105mm lens, 1/5 @ f16



Canon 5D, manual mode, 24-105mm lens, 2 seconds @ f11

7 comments :

Trevor Dean Photography September 21, 2010 at 11:26 PM  

Nice captures Emma... I also love Gros Morne for the photographic opportunity. We should plan a big photog trip out there one of these days. Get a bunch of photographers from the area involved. Could be a blast :)

Tom Shea September 21, 2010 at 11:56 PM  

Love 'em Emma.......Great shots.
Tom Shea

emma hutchinson photography September 22, 2010 at 8:55 AM  

Sounds like a great idea Trevor. I know a few local photogs that I'm sure would go. One in particular....my father. We went to Gros Morne with my parents. My Dad is also a landscape photographer.

Thak you Tom!

Anonymous September 22, 2010 at 1:35 PM  

Well well well ! Is there no end to this Weddings, Grads, Maternity, New Borns, Family Shots and now LANDSCAPES!!! Wow.
And to think I was laughing at you when a couple of waves soaked you up to your knees and splashed all up your gear ( Which you were more worried about ) But you still got the shot. KUDOS to you for your tenacity.

Greym

emma hutchinson photography September 22, 2010 at 1:44 PM  

That's right, you did laugh at me. One side of me was wet through. It was abit of a dilemna...clean off my gear and miss the light, or keep shooting and hope for the best. I had one tissue in my pocket. A quick wipe and I was back at it. I'm an addict I guess...I chose to keep shooting.

Great weekend! Working on my next goal...

Trevor Dean Photography September 23, 2010 at 8:33 PM  

haha... This reminds me of heading out into Hurricane Igor to get some rare shots.. I made a homemade poncho for the cam and came home after about 3 hours soaked to the bone. Oh well I got some really cool photos out of it :)

I remember about your father, specifically when I asked you one day about some photos hangin out in your office. I think this will definitley go into the planning process for a Fall trip next year. We should keep in touch on this... It would be really exciting to see something like this come to fruition.

I've got another personal project that I am trying to get going, I'll email you some details later. It's basically a pro-bono organization that advocates taking family portraits and printing them for less fortunate families. I really like the idea and would love to get a couple photogs on board to get some kind of group together.

Cheers

emma hutchinson photography September 24, 2010 at 8:59 AM  

Your homemade camera poncho sounded like a great idea. I read your blog post. Great shots.

I'm definately game for a fall trip. I also love the idea of a pro bono organization. Fill me in!

Post a Comment

If you do not have a google account, choose Name/URL.

Archive

Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP